Written by: Tim Wood
Dr. Thom Rainer (a Christ-follower), has done extensive research on unchurched people. He defines unchurched as someone who attends church 2 times or less a year. While this research is general in nature and not specific to San Jose, some of his findings are compelling. Here are some of his research findings:
· 7 out of 10 unchurched people have not been invited to church.
· Most unchurched people feel guilty about not attending church.
· 9 out of 10 said that they would most likely attend church if invited by a friend. (If you don’t remember anything else about this blog – please remember this!)
· Many of the unchurched polled had a church background.
· Many of the unchurched are more concerned about the spiritual wellness of their children than their own spiritual wellness.
Further research by Dr. Rainer revealed that less than 5% of church people ever invite someone to church with them. Most people who don’t attend church will come to an Easter service, if invited. So, with that in mind let me give you some helpful tips on how you can be an inviter this Easter.
· Pray – don’t start with the invitation, start with prayer. Pray for your own boldness. Pray for a Holy Spirit led opportunity. Pray for the friends that you are inviting. Remember that you are not responsible for their response – positive or negative.
· Keep in mind that you are inviting them to Easter service. They will hear songs about Jesus being alive. They will hear a sermon on the same subject. It doesn’t get any more plain or powerful that that!
· If they say yes to your invitation, make sure you meet them in the parking lot. You will be the best person to “show them the ropes” - where the kids meet, where the bathroom is, what to expect etc…By the way, Dr. Ranier found that most unchurched people want to attend a service on Sunday.
The best invitation card is YOU! Live out the hope of the Risen Christ every day. Live out the joy of the Gospel every day. Let the Light of Jesus shine through you. I am praying for you as you invite your friends and relatives to come to church with you this Easter.
“Then the master told his servant, ‘Go out to the roads and country lanes and compel them to come in, so that my house will be full” (words of Jesus from Luke 14:23 NIV).