Written by: Tim Wood
The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing. (Zephaniah 3:17 ESV)
There are five wonderful promises in this verse:
1) God is with you. No matter where you are, no matter how you are feeling, God is in your midst. He’s near. Note the personal possessive pronoun "your!" If Scripture did not say God was our God, we would not dare even hope for such a thing! And yet Jehovah is our God, because of our covenant relationship with His Son.
2) God is mighty. He will deliver us. He will save us. Nothing is impossible with him and nothing is too difficult for him. God is able. Whatever you are facing right now, God is able to deliver you.
3) God rejoices over you with gladness. Those two words “over you” are incomprehensible. How can a holy, righteous God rejoice over an imperfect person like me? The only possible answer is that my life is hidden in His Son Jesus Christ. God sees His Son in me and He rejoices over me.
4) God will quiet me with his love. God’s love is eternal. God’s love is unconditional. God’s love is vast. Nothing can separate me from God’s love. When I set my mind on the love of God it has a quieting effect on my soul. The word “quiet” can also be translated renew. Contemplating God’s love brings renewal to me.
5) God rejoices over me with loud singing. Do you realize that God is a singing God? Think about this. The same God who spoke the cosmos into existence sings over us. God’s spoken word is powerfully productive. What does his song produce in us?
Five awesome promises from God to you. Will you stand on his promises today?