Written by: Tim Wood
Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. (Isaiah 43:18-19)
Isaiah 43:18-19 in the Message - “Forget about what’s happened; don’t keep going over old history.
Be alert, be present. I’m about to do something brand-new. It’s bursting out! Don’t you see it?
There it is! I’m making a road through the desert, rivers in the badlands.”
These are inspiring words to begin a new year. God is doing something brand new. New for us, not for Him. God desires to bless us with new thinking, new direction, new power, a new attitude, new healing; God is doing a new thing!
The question before us is this, will you embrace the new thing God is doing? These verses give us detailed instruction how we can join God in something brand new for our lives.
1) Don’t be driven by the former things. Don’t get stuck in your past.
2) Don’t live in condemnation over past sins and mistakes. Don’t consider the things of old. That means quit dwelling on it. Followers of Jesus have a past but our past is passed!
3) Believe in the God of newness. Behold Him. Believe and behold that God is giving you another chance. It’s a new thing.
4) Perceive the God of newness. Isaiah asked a great question – don’t you perceive it? Our eyes, ears and hearts should be wide open to sensing God’s presence and moving in our lives in a new way.
5) Follow God. Obey Him. God makes a way when we find ourselves in the wilderness. God will provide a pathway but we must walk it. We must take a step toward Him.
6) Embrace the Holy Spirit’s guidance. God provides rivers for us in desert places. Jesus said, “Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” Now this he said about the Spirit… (John 7:38-39).
Will you believe and embrace the new thing God is doing for you in 2019? If so, we will have a new song to sing and a new voice to praise Him. It’s going to be a great year all for the glory of God.